Just got back from Leadville. I finished in 9:12 which was good enough for 6th in the singlespeed division (out of 50) and 146th overall. I didn't bring home the big buckle but that's okay. I now know it's possible to get a sub 9 without gears.
Leadville is just too epic of a race to summarize so I won't even try.
A few things I learned:
- When you ride Leadville on a SS, you get A LOT of attention from the other racers and the spectators.
- 32x19 is the perfect gearing
- I can ride 100 + miles on nothing but Gels, Honey Stinger chews, CarboRocket and water
- If you need to, you can pee on your chain as a backup to traditional chain lube (just ask Jamie)
- Powerline has at least 5 false summits. It really is ridiculous.
- It rains a lot at Leadville. Get used to it.
- Apparently, at one of the feed zones, I promised Rachelle I would take her to Hawaii for crewing for me. When you are completely cooked, funny things come out of your mouth.
A few pics....
Just before crossing the finish line
Rachelle (the hottest crew member ever).
It's crazy how much of an energy boost I got from just seeing my wife a few times during the race.
Sam, Tony, Jamie, me at the finsih
What I like most about Leadville is the hang out factor. The race is just one day. The other 3 days are spent sitting around with good friends, laughing, telling stories, and eating. It's a great way to escape.
I didn't reserve a room for next year so I probably won't be back unless Elden, Dug or Sam talk me into it.