Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Guy Code- Chapter 6, Section 3.1

Chapter 6, Section 3.1 of the "Guy Code" handbook clearly states that: "When a ride, race, road trip, or bike related purchase is discussed among fellow riders, it is be held secret until all the riders have been able to discuss it with their spouse and seek appropriate approvals."

Recently, on more than one occasion, my wife has found out about a bike trip or bike race from my friends before I've been able to plant the seed and talk to her about it (Lotoja, Palm Desert...). I've been lucky so far. She has been very cool about it and usually only requires that she gets to spend an equivalent amount on something for herself (pillows or jeans seem to be the default).

But one of these days, I won't be so lucky. It's only happened to me a few times which is impressive considering that 2 of my brothers-in-law ride, my twin brother rides, and all my riding friends have very cool wives who are good friends with Rachelle. Once a friend or family member leaks the plan to their wife, it usually only takes a few hours for the word to get out.

Nothing catches me off guard more than walking in the door from work and Rachelle saying "So, you're doing Lotoja again, huh?".

So it is my proposal that we all put on our water buffalo hats, meet at the EQ parking lot tonight at 8:30pm , and review the rules over a night ride.

8 comments:

Jonnie J said...

I am going to have dig deep in the basement to find the water buffalo hat...but either way I am down for a thorough review of the handbook. See you tonight.

Ski Bike Junkie said...

"So, you're doing Lotoja again, huh?"

Which wave are you starting in?

I'm out for tonight--racing the DMV crit then need to be home with the kids so Rachel can leave.

dug said...

i have my water buffalo hat on right now. keeps falling over my eyes.

KanyonKris said...

I'm liking the idea of horns on my bike helmet.

FixieDave said...

Damn you guys with your relationships and all these rules....

;)

tp said...

Yeah, I'm afraid I also broke guy code on this years Lotoja ... well my wife did.

I didn't even have time to warn AK as my wife remarked; "You didn't tell me that Kelly didn't know Adam was riding Lotoja this year"

tibiker said...

WOW...i am feeling guilty....except, as part of honoring girl code, I gotta give my girls the heads up. I am sorry to have thrown you under the bus Rick....BUT ...I gotta look out for my ladies! Never forget, the truth shall set you free.

Next time try warming her up to the idea in the form of a gift certificate to Nordstrom or something. GOod luck with that!

tibiker said...

that last comment was from whit, not me!