Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Saving Money

With gas prices north of $4.00 per gallon, I've decided to commute by bike at least two days a week. There is a group of 5 of us at work who meet every Tues and Thur in Draper and ride in.

Tuesday, we meet at the Chevron at the bottom of Suncrest (Draper side), climb up the north side and then work our way through Alpine and into Orem. It's about a 22 mile commute (one way) with one big climb.
Thursday, we meet at the top of Suncrest and ride in via the Alpine Loop (about 40 miles one way with one bigger climb).

Yesterday, as the email thread started up about today's commute in, I threw out some trash talk. Something like the last one up the Suncrest climb buys donuts (I love a good maple bar).

Shortly after I showered and settled in at work, this box of donuts appeared on my desk. It even had a maple bar in there. Nice.


I'm saving money on gas and food as long as I am not the last one up the climb. It's going to be a good day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

long as you're not purging the maple bars after.

Rick Sunderlage said...

Dug- They taste twice as good coming up.

Dave- Damn straight. Not sure if you noticed but YOU were 2nd to the top so don't worry about it.
Can we get some fritters in the donut run next time? Somebody tell Ryan we like fritters.

tp said...

First one to the top of the canyon gets doughnuts twice a week? This is Rick's training plan? Thata way Maple Bar Boy! Whatever motivates you. See you Thursday up until mile marker 8.

Boz said...

Last week, my wife and I spent a grand total of $15.00 on gas between riding a scooter(87mpg), biking, and her SUV. Better than the previous outlay of some $60.00.
The scooter looks kinda' g@y, but so does a thin wallet.

Anonymous said...

How much of a bad A do you have to be to tell the guy who took last place that you want fritters next time...classic.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I converted my ride to run off waste vegetable oil. It's awesome. I take it to the trail guilt free. check out my ride on austinchu.wordpress.com.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I want to bike to work, but I carry so much stuff with me each day that I'd be a hazard to myself!