Wednesday, May 14, 2008

First Race of 2008

I've been putting this off for too long. It's time to man up and spend some time in the pain cave. Tonight is the opening race of the Soldier Hollow/Sundance MTB series and I plan to be there. There will be much suffering. I'm already nervous and my stomach is on edge. I hate the pre-race feeling. It all goes away once the race starts and I'm able to settle down a bit but the entire day before the race, I never feel good.

Only 3 months until Leadville (in fact the race packet arrived at the house yesterday) and I need to get some fast training miles in. There is no way to simulate race pace unless you go out and race.

I've prepared a list of reasons (in advance) of why I didn't do well:
1) I brought my SingleSpeed and the course had too many flat sections
2) I went out hard yesterday and my legs didn't recover
3) I raced the Expert class cuz I needed the longer miles
4) I forgot my CarboRocket

These seem like solid excuses.

7 comments:

UtRider said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering from pre-race nerves today. It's strange to feel like this on a Wednesday.

KanyonKris said...

Enjoy your jitters. I was planning on racing today, but got hammered by a cold Monday and I'm only good for riding downhill today. Wanna trade?

Anonymous said...

Scratch excuse #4 I'll have 5 gallons of CarboRocket at the race.

Anonymous said...

i'm pretty sure you can only use the expert class excuse if you in fact race the expert class.

are you gonna race the expert class?

if you are i think i speak for us sport class racers everywhere when i say "Thank You."

Grizzly Adam said...

One of my favorite built in excuses is that "I am tapering for a big event next week."

Usually around October I look back and realize that I spent the whole summer tapering.

I won't be there tonight. I am tapering for the KTR on Saturday.

Rick Sunderlage said...

dug- I know I don't belong in Expert and will come in back of the pack but I want the extra miles. At $12 a race, I also want my money's worth.

Brad- I'm going to find you and get some.

Adam- KTR?...sheesh. that's hardcore. I want a full report.

KK- drink more carbo rocket. that should cure you.

utrider- I hope to see you there. I'm wearing pink tonight.

KanyonKris said...

Rick, how could I forget the full name:

Doctor Keyes Carbonic Rocket Tonic & Elixir

I shall imbibe liberally to cure this pox which afflicts me!

(Why didn't I think of the above name when Brad was asking for suggestions?)