Tuesday, November 27, 2007


I wouldn't call myself a "weight weenie" but I would say that I am aware of my weight. I think this is probably true for any cyclist. My awareness consists of a few simple things. For example:
1) I weigh myself every morning under the same conditions
2) When I go out to eat, I quickly scan the restaurant to get an idea of how many overweight people eat there and make a note of it. (I get bummed out if the ratio is out of wack and try not to go back to that place).

And that is about it.

I know people who "cleanse" their bodies every now and then to try and drop lbs. Basically, it means they fast for a week and only drink some magic juice and maybe eat a waffer once a day. I could never do this. I like my food too much.

But yesterday, I had a great idea. I decided I would try my own cleanse. Which, for me, meant I would skip lunch and go on a 1 hour 20 minute mtb ride. and then not eat again until dinner.

Seemed like a good idea.

The ride part was great. I quickly settled into a nice pace with my ipod and did the Frank to Dry loop down here in Orem. Temps were in the mid 40's and the sun was out. Conditions were perfect. I got back to the parking lot at work, changed back into my work clothes (which by the way, took about 15 min because some family decided to have a picnic about 5 feet from my front bumper. Seriosuly, I had 2 kids staring right at me the entire time I was trying to change. I spent about 5 min sitting there in my front seat with just my cycling shorts and a t-shirt on waiting for my window of opportunity to do the pant exchange) and then waltzed back into the office.

About 30 minutes later, I was STARVING. I couldn't stand it. I ended up buying a pack of Pop-Tarts from the vending machine and eating those. Still, not too bad. A small snack instead of lunch. I was still on plan.

At about 5:15, I called Rachelle to let her know I was coming home hungry and wanted to know if she was cooking dinner. She promised a massive plate of pasta and chicken. I coudn't wait.....literally. I made another stop by the vending machine and grabbed a bag of chips for the 25 min commute home.

When I got home, I scarfed down the plate of food and immediately went searching for something sweet to eat. 4 cookies later and a handful of Rolo's, I was still in grazing mode.

I must have eaten about 15 Rolo's, massive amounts of Wheat Thins, and 3 rolls left over from Thanksgiving.

My point is this- It doesn't pay to starve yourself. It had a reverse affect for me. I'm pretty sure I ate 3x my normal qty's last night all because I decided to skip lunch and ride instead.

So today, I made sure to eat a bean burrito and 2 tacos for lunch.


bradk said...

the first rule of weight loss is you need to have some weight to lose in the first place. keep up the burritos and tacos for a few months a lay off the bike and then try again.

dug said...

brad is wise. you are like a camp survivor. cut it out.

tibiker said...

Yeah, if you lost any weight I don't know where it'd come from. You're one of the leanest hombres around.

BTW, I skip lunch regularly (and then get home and pig out/graze) so maybe you've got a point. I should eat lunch too then I wouldn't be starving when I hit the door.